Monday, October 27, 2008

Good intentions, bad results

I went grocery shopping last night with the goal of planning out some healthy meals for the week. Even though I'm not generally a fan, I decided to include some breakfast foods. And for some reason, while walking up and down the produce isles, I decided to pick up a couple grapefruits. They just looked yummy, fresh, bright and citrusy piled there between the oranges and pineapples. And besides, isn’t grapefruit supposed to be part of some miracle diet that causes you to lose 10 pounds in 10 days or something?

So this morning at work I was feeling quite productive and healthy as I sat down with my half grapefruit and cup of green tea. Yeah… I have no idea what I was thinking. I somehow failed to remember that I hate grapefruit. It tastes very yucky. In general, it is very sour and bitter at the same time, and the tiny bit of sweetness you get is not even close to a reward. No matter how much Splenda you sprinkle on top, the taste is just horrible, kind of like drinking orange juice right after brushing your teeth.

In addition, I somehow managed to cut it the wrong way (come on Sarah, how hard is cutting a grapefruit in half?) which meant I really had to dig for each foul little bite. As a result, I now have grapefruit juice splattered all over my desk and keyboard. One nasty little drop even made it directly into my eye. This was not the morning I had hoped for. I think I have a case of the Mondays.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Grapefruits are one of my all time favorite foods. I peel them and eat them like an orange. DELICIOUS.

:)

Sarah Alway said...

Erin, you're crazy. I will have to donate the second grapefruit (which I have NO intention of eating) to you.