Sunday, October 05, 2008

New Digs!

I have no idea how we did it, but somehow, somehow, we made it through the past week. My to-do list filled an entire 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Single spaced, 10 point font. And I’ve finally got everything crossed off! Oh, except that pesky little “Homework for next week” line item. Oops.

I tried to have everything all packed up the weekend prior, since I currently have class from 6pm to 9pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. That means those days were officially out. But leaving the house at 7am, working all day, riding a bus for an hour to the U. District, sitting in class for three hours, getting home to Queen Anne and then proceeding to eat dinner and do homework until midnight has already started to take a toll on me (as one can imagine).

But I made it through the week and we headed down to IKEA on Friday night to pick up our new bed. Thus, we encountered our first problem. Although I had hoped for the best, there was no way in hell the boxes we had already paid for were going to fit in my car. Oh, and the store was closing in five minutes. Luckily, we managed to get the store to hold the bed overnight and have a friend pick it up with a truck in the morning. Phew. Tragedy averted.

Saturday morning started at 7am with a final run to Fred Meyer to pick up last-minute items including, of course, an ample supply of beer for the volunteer movers. U-Haul pickup was at 9am. Friends arrived promptly at 10am to first load up my apartment and then Stewart’s. We also managed to fill to bursting two cars with my clothes and miscellaneous items.

We had another little disaster in the parking garage, where Stewart’s friend managed to back Stew’s car out almost perfectly… leaving behind one mirror, shaved off by a cement pole. Oops. But finally, we were on our way to our new Ballard home, where everyone took a break for pizza, beer and tequila shots before unloading the truck. I think everything was in by about 6pm – not too shabby!

The evening then consisted of taking extra furniture items over to my sister’s house in Eastlake for storage, and returning the truck. Then we celebrated with more drinks and the boys made it down to The Old Peculiar. I couldn’t drag myself away from unpacking, but I did go pick them up later and we made our first stop at the neighborhood Dick’s Drive In.

So we are finally home! A little worse for wear I suppose (a couple co-workers have already commented on how tired I look), but it feels so great to be done! I’m a little anxious about how behind I now am in my schoolwork, but I am going to spend this evening at the UW Law Library catching up.

Many thanks to everyone who helped / stopped by / brought gifts to us this weekend, it really meant a lot to us! We can’t wait to have everyone over to show off our new home!

I heart Ballard.

0 comments: