Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Something to Consider

I think I might buy myself some pepper spray.

Let me back up. I’ve always considered downtown Seattle to be a very safe place. I never think twice about walking home from a bar at 2am or parking my car and walking alone a few blocks in the dark to a restaurant to meet friends. And whenever I hear a creepy story about a girl getting abducted at Green Lake… I kind of just put it out of my mind, naively thinking it could never happen to me, because “that girl must have been doing something stupid and/or unsafe.”

But lately I’ve been thinking more about being a woman in Seattle. Maybe I’ve just been really, really lucky. My boyfriend and I rarely fight, but some of the biggest arguments we’ve gotten into have been because I’ve chosen to walk someplace in the dark, by myself. I’m of the opinion, “It’s fine, it was just a few blocks and I’m in my own neighborhood.” He is of the opinion, “Do you know how easy it would be for someone to pull you into a van, rape and kill you?!” But that would never happen. Right?

Ever since I moved to Ballard I have been feeling a little more cautious. Probably because my new schedule is keeping me out later, and as winter approaches it is getting darker so much earlier. And since I have class most nights after work and don’t get home until 10pm, I have to walk a few blocks from the bus stop in the dark to get home. And as I walk down the dark, cold street past several alleys and vacant buildings I feel slightly creeped out.

Last night I had to go to the UW law library and was there pretty late. Even though the area is well-lit, I still felt mildly uncomfortable walking across campus in the dark through the pouring rain. I clutched my bag, purse and cell phone and hustled as fast as I could to the safety of my car. It probably didn’t help that I had gotten together with a girlfriend earlier who had told me that she recently took shooting lessons and is getting her concealed weapons permit because she is so scared to be living alone.

So I wonder… am I being paranoid? Or has my naivety finally worn off and I’m seeing the world for the scary place it actually is? Either way, I don’t think purchasing some pepper spray would hurt.

3 comments:

ReadyToShelve said...

Come on, cowgirl! Mosey on up to one of these!

Bayjb said...

Skip mace and go right to bear mace! That is no f*cking around stuff. If it's for peace of mind, get it and still do as you always do and be safe.

Anonymous said...

I definitely don't think you're being paranoid. Although Seattle *is* pretty safe, it's still a big city with lots of sketchy people. I say go for it -- and maybe take some self-defense classes while you're at it.