Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Orange is the new black

In building construction, topping out is a ceremony held when the last beam is placed at the top of a building, and a topping out ceremony is usually held to commemorate the event. Since I now work in commercial real estate development, one of my duties is to coordinate these types of events. So yesterday I went down to Olympia with a co-worker to set up a party at one of my company's building sites... quite different than all the party planning that I've done before! First, we fed the large construction crew lunch. They seemed very confused and intrigued by the 20-something girls in hard hats wandering around their construction site. Then, the ceremony began: Here's how it goes...

The last support beam to be hoisted is painted white and signed by all the workmen involved, as well as everyone else who attends the ceremony. I was very proud of my first building signature!

A tree or leafy branch is placed on the topmost beam, often with flags and streamers tied to it. Then it's hoisted up to the top of the building while everyone toasts and cheers.

I'm very pleased that I was able to pull off my first topping out event. And I've decided that I look fantastic in a construction site getup. Orange is definitely the new black.

2 comments:

ADeskJockey said...

Loves it! Your signature looked super professional!

Yay for tacky orange vests and hard hats.

xox
Shan

ReadyToShelve said...

You're one step closer to Howard Roark. :)