Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Looking Back On 2008

As the year draws to a close and I look back on how I spent the last 365 days, I thought this would be an appropriate time to re-examine my 2008 New Years Resolutions and do a brief status update.

Resolution #1: Exercise at least two or more times per week.Status: Failed.Explanation: Pure laziness. It would be ridiculous to put excuses here. I did great for the first few months, but then I got progressively lazier. The yellow circles on my calendar marking the days I worked out end in May, and I finally canceled my gym membership all together in November.

Resolution #2: Stop gossiping so much (especially at work).Status: Completed.Explanation: I worked very hard on this during the first six months of the year, but I think the real turning point was when I started a new job in July. A much more healthy environment, combined with a positive attitude and fresh start, has done wonders.

Resolution #3: Put $150 per paycheck into savings account.
Status: Failed.Explanation:
I was actually doing very well in this department for the first half of the year and had quite the little cushion saved up. Thank God, because when I quit my job in June without another one lined up I was really thankful for the safety net. Unfortunately, living off my savings for six weeks really dented the ol’ bank account, and I was back to square one. However, the second half of the year presented a new financial opportunity: I made the biggest investment of my life by purchasing a condominium with my boyfriend. So I figure that even though I haven’t been putting money into my savings account, putting a substantial amount toward a mortgage each month evens things out.

Resolution #4: Seriously pursue going back to school.Status: Completed!Explanation: Not only did I seriously pursue going back to school, I applied and was accepted to the Paralegal Certification Program at the University of Washington. I attended night classes for one quarter and successfully completed them. In addition, I am all signed up for next quarter and plan to graduate from the program in June. This is the accomplishment I feel most proud of. Ironically, it is the one I thought I was least likely to accomplish.

Resolution #5: LET IT GO.Status: Completed.Explanation: This is something that was really important to me, and I worked very hard on this one. I really needed to realize that harboring negative feelings toward people was hurting no one but me. I was able to get past those feelings and see the bigger picture, which eliminated negativity in my own life and thus made me a happier person to be around!

In summary, I’d say three out of five ain’t too shabby. And although I failed on #3 I completed a goal I had previously set for myself – to purchase a home before age 30 – so I think that one wasn’t totally failed. So let’s call it 3.5 out of five.

Here are some other important highlights from 2008 that I’d like to take a moment to remember:
Overall, I feel very, very happy with how 2008 turned out. Of course there were ups and downs, but I was able to achieve some major things, whether they were planned or unplanned. I'm definitely happy with my life and where it is headed. 2009 - BRING IT ON!

3 comments:

Bayjb said...

I think you did pretty good on your resolutions. The others are work in progresses :)

Anonymous said...

I love how focused and disciplined you are! We are always our own worst critics, but you completed many ambitious activities, making your life that much more adventurous and meaningful. Congratulations and keep it up!

Brooke said...

Oh Gosh, I didn't think of that, I'm still in the "mid-twenties" since I'm 26, but in September, here I come "late-twenties"

aaah!