Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Resolutions - 2009

Once again, I am going to try to set some realistic goals for myself. So here they are, in black and white – my resolutions for 2009:

Exercise more & drink more water
This will continue to be a challenge for me, especially considering I am working full time and attend school three nights per week. However, a healthy lifestyle is majorly important, so I need to try and find time for exercise in my life. Still not sure on a specific plan of action, but step one will be joining the gym in my building and attempting to hit the treadmill on my lunch break at least a couple times a week.

Pay off debts
I am accumulating some major debt due to UW tuition, but my plan is to have it all paid off by the end of the year (hopefully sooner, since my credit card only has 0% interest until August). In addition, I plan on paying off my car a month or two early and then I will finally own it free and clear! In addition, I don’t plan on acquiring any more major debts – a mortgage is enough!

Make a career decision
After I graduate from my Paralegal Program in June, I will have some major decisions to make. Choosing whether to stay at a job that I love or pursue a career in the field of law will definitely be a struggle. In addition, I will need to consider whether law school is in my future. This will all require some thinking, but I hope to have made a decision and a plan by the end of the year.

Cultivate my friendships
I tend to always let life get in the way. I’ve neglected to make phone calls, send emails, and follow through with plans as much as I should. This year I resolve to talk to my out-of-town friends on the phone more frequently. I promise to send emails, cards and flowers, remember birthdays, and plan trips. I am just as busy as the next person, but my friendships are important to me and I need to make sure I give them the time they deserve.

LET IT GO
Even though I have gotten over the resentment I harbored last year, I still feel like there are some things in my life that need working on. My sister and I have frequently discussed some troubles within our family that we just can’t seem to get over. I am going to try very hard this year to just accept certain situations for what they are, instead of allowing them to upset me and the rest of my family.

So there you have it. Last year’s resolutions didn’t turn out to be an overall failure… this year I am hoping for a perfect score, wish me luck!

2 comments:

Bayjb said...

Great resolutions! I need to work on the "letting it go" one too on a few things.

Paolo said...

Agree. Good list!