Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Gene Pool

I dragged myself out of bed way earlier than normal this morning in order to make it to a dreaded crack of dawn dentist appointment. There’s nothing worse than starting the work day tired and cranky, gums bleeding, with gritty cinnamon paste stuck between your teeth.

But once again… no cavities and, “everything looks great, beautiful teeth!” I have no idea how I get away with this. I mean, I definitely brush my teeth as often as the average person (I think?) – at least two times per day, in the morning and before I go to bed; sometimes after lunch if I ate something garlicky. However, here is my guilty, and a bit disgusting, little secret: I never floss. *hides head in shame*

OK, I guess never is a harsh word. Of course I floss when I have food in my teeth, etc. but I’ve never been able to make it a before-I-go-to-bed type of routine. My mom has been on me about this for years. I’ve worked in a dentist office before, so I totally get why flossing is important, and have experienced firsthand the disgustingness of gingivitis. But I just can’t seem to force myself to get in gear. My nerdy dentist calls me a “flossing rebel.”

Every time I go to the dentist and get another perfect report card, going home and starting a daily flossing routine never seems like a priority. Personally, I think it’s genetics. My boyfriend has constant problems with his teeth, even though he does everything right. He brushes (for at least 10 minutes at a time, I swear) with a Sonicare toothbrush two times a day, flosses every night, and uses antibacterial mouthwash daily. He’s still got a mouthful of cavities, and I’ve never even had one, although my dental hygiene habits are far inferior.

So what do you think? Am I disgusting? Just lucky? Pretty typical? What are your flossing habits?

4 comments:

Erin said...

I didn't floss for most of my life, up until like 3 years ago, and now I'm addicted! Once you start doing it every night you feel dirty when you don't.

Seattle Swift said...

I'm the same way - it took me almost a year to get into the habit of flossing every night before bed but now I simply have to!!

Bayjb said...

Ugh I'm the worst at flossing. I really try but then fall off the wagon. I really do try to do better.

Anonymous said...

Cailin here. Don't feel bad, Sarah. I never floss either, have always had wonderful check-ups and can't seem to will myself to floss if I'm not suffering without the extra dental hygiene. Just consider yourself lucky :)