Sunday, January 25, 2009

Overtime

Wow. I basically had the craziest work week of my entire life. As part of the development team it’s my job to help put together proposals in an effort to obtain more projects. And more work = more job security, so I’m definitely happy to oblige. However, we ended up cutting it pretty close this time.

Even though I came in to work on Saturday and Monday (a holiday), I had a feeling the rest of the week was going to be quite stressful. I was correct. On Wednesday I stayed at work until 11:30pm trying to stay ahead of the game. The proposal had to be in California by 5pm on Friday, which meant it needed to be on a plane with one of our VPs by 6am that day. So by Thursday, it was crunch time.

I arrived at work at 8am and proceeded to work like a lunatic. At about 2pm I began typing up an introductory letter for the proposal… and immediately realized that it needed to be delivered to San Francisco. However, we had mistakenly booked a flight to Long Beach. OH F*CK. It took a couple hours, but we finally got that figured out. But by 6pm it was clear that we had a lot of work left to do.

To make a long story short, I finally left work at about 4:30am after confirming that the package was safely on its way to the airport. I went home, slept for about two hours, and then headed back to work for a Friday morning meeting. I think my boss slept at her desk for about 45 minutes.

Thank God I finally work at a company that pays overtime.

2 comments:

ADeskJockey said...

HOLY SHIT. Thats nuts!

Sarah Alway said...

Yeah, but at least I wasn't alone... there were five other people with me so there was a kind of "we're all in this together" attitude, which was nice.