Thursday, January 08, 2009

WWU Football Gets the Boot

I received an email this afternoon containing the announcement that WWU is ending its football program. I was shocked and slightly saddened by the news. Even though I only attended a handful of games during my four year stint, a major university without a football team just doesn’t seem right. Times are really getting tough, I guess.

It’s too bad that my alma mater has had to resort to such drastic measures. College life just won’t be the same for those who come after me. Tailgating and face painting, jumping up and down screaming in the freezing cold rain – these are supposed to be some of the best times of our young lives. Even if you don’t like football, the energy on campus and the after-game parties are fantastic.

I think supporting a football team really contributes to the university experience. Western's team has been around since 1907 and I’m sad to see it go. Farewell, Vikings!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

that's crazy! my school football team sucks and they are spending all this money on a new stadium! ??

Erin said...

Western had a football team?