Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Little Self-Indulgence

I discovered a new hidden Seattle gem last night - Queen Bee Nails & Spa.

I'm constantly on the lookout for affordable places to have my nails done. It's a luxury I probably shouldn't be indulging in, considering the current state of the economy, but I just can't seem to help myself. And for me a good pedicure can last more than a month, so I consider it a beauty investment.

For the past few years I've frequented the several little nail salons in lower Queen Anne. These are what my sister (an esthetician) calls "chop shops." They seem dirty and run down, often with rude staff that doesn't speak or make eye contact with you besides shouting, "Pick a color!" when you walk in the door. Then you're whirled through the process of clipping, trimming, scrubbing, rubbing and painting in about 20 minutes - all for $18 plus tip (pedicure only) if I remember correctly. But hey, you get what you pay for.

I've been searching for a similar bargain since moving to Ballard, but have yet to find an equivalent in my neighborhood. However, Queen Bee Nails & Spa recently opened across the street from the building that I work in, so I decided to head over with some of my co-workers. The salon is located on the corner of 2nd Avenue and Seneca Street, and a mani/pedi costs only $25 (plus tip). Definitely worth checking out.

When I walked in, I figured the usual "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" treatment was in store. Boy was I in for a surprise... The salon was quiet and clean with a polite and friendly staff to greet us. They have the most extensive color collection that I've seen with both OPI and China Glaze polishes. We sat in brand new massage chairs that had both back and booty rubbers... Mmmmmm! The girls were talkative and friendly without being too invasive, and took their time with the pedicures while we chatted away. I was surprised by the excellent foot and leg massage that was followed by a hot towel treatment.

By the time we moved on to the manicures I was loving life. In addition to the manicure I usually receive, I got a hand and arm massage, followed by a paraffin dip treatment combined with a long, relaxing shoulder rub! No way!! This is definitely not what I'm used to when I get a bargain mani/pedi. A $5 tip was suggested, but I was so impressed that I was a bit more generous. They do add a $1 fee if you pay with a credit card, but overall I'd say this is definitely the best bang for your buck downtown. Waxing, facials and massages are also available. I'm definitely going back next month!

3 comments:

*Amy Leigh* said...

I too suffer from the desire to a little self-indulgence every now and then.
What a great deal you found! I would be ecstatic if I could get great service and a great mani/pedi for under $50!
I have a year-old gift certificate to a spa in my town and I have been saving it for a “rainy day” but I ran across it the other day, while organizing my life, and it expires JANUARY 23!!! I HAVE to use it soon, maybe I’ll call now!

Sarah Alway said...

Gift certificates are the best - they force you to try things and places that you could never afford on your own, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I totally should have gone with you that night! Next month for sure. =)