Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Sex Appeal

When I saw a link advertising “10 Sexy Careers” on my MSN home page today, I couldn’t resist clicking… and I was surprised at what I discovered! MY JOB just happens to be #1 on the list! Shock me, shock me, considering that I chose my current position as a “transition between careers job” while I am in school. Who knew it could turn out to be so glamorous?! According to the article, Administrative Assistants have much more sex appeal than you probably realize:

“When you visit almost any workplace, a smiling administrative assistant greets you. Very often you don't know if you're in the right place, whom you need to speak with or even what you need to do. Administrative assistants know the answers and, because they're your first points of contact, they have to be well-groomed and kind to visitors. Knowledge, good looks, a nice personality and helpfulness? Yes, please. And since they frequently work closely with high-level executives who value their opinions, they often possess a hidden but large cache of power. Administrative assistants pretty much have the whole package.”

In case you’re wondering which sexy career you should pursue, the other 9 are:

2. Baristas – I don’t know about this one. Coffee workers always look frumpy and frazzled to me. (Except for you of course, Jamie!)
3. Hairstylists – Definitely. They always look super put together and manage to have on a fabulous outfit and rad shoes, even though they have to stand on their feet all day.
4. Disc Jockey – Sure. DJs have to have decent taste in music and know what people want. They also have great networking skills which is always a plus.
5. IT workers – Really? Not in any of the offices I’ve worked at… and the lax dress code tends to be more of a minus than a plus.
6. Mail carriers – Oh God. No. I have never, ever seen a sexy postal worker.
7. Personal trainers – Well, yeah, this one is pretty much a given. Who can resist a perfect bod?
8. Photographers – I suppose, if you’re into artsy types, that photographers could be strangely alluring.
9. Psychologists – Not too sure about this one… Paying someone money to listen to your problems does not seem super sexy.
10. University professors – Ah yes, the power of intellect. I can definitely admit to having a crush on one or two of my instructors over the years!

What are some careers you think are sexy? I think my number one would probably have been Rock Star.

4 comments:

Seattle Swift said...

I'm sucked in by MSN "top whatevers" all the time at work! Entertaining!

Brooke said...

i would have thought that librarian would have made the list.. i mean, a lot of guys are into librarians.. or just plain old bartender...

Anonymous said...

I dont feel to sexy when I go to work either plus I smell horrible after work with the stench of coffe, suryp, and milk!

Anonymous said...

Young teachers can be sexy! But the old ones weigh us all down with their oversized sweatshirts, docker pants, and clogs.