Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Paying the Tab

So apparently it's been decided that the Alaskan Way Viaduct will be replaced with a tunnel, scheduled for construction in 2011 and opening in 2015. Frankly, I've completely lost interest in the whole issue after years of debate, but am glad some sort of a decision has finally been made. However, I have to wonder how the new roadway will be paid for.

Ah yes... here comes the inevitable. According to a Seattle Times article, King County will attempt to raise the money through a car tab tax to fund new $190 million tunnel. This means you'll see your tabs increase $100 annually on a $10,000 vehicle. Well, my car cost about twice that, so... you do the math. Ugh.

I can't help but wonder whether this is going to be similar to the first year I moved to Seattle, when my tabs cost almost $400 to cover the “monorail tax.” No plans to build a new monorail were ever put into effect, and the money seemed to vanish into thin air. I can't help but wonder if the cost of my tabs is going to almost triple for the next few years – with nothing to show for it.

We'll see...

4 comments:

ReadyToShelve said...

Wait, you never got your monorail refund? I got my $400 back and put a new stereo in my car! Everyone had so much fun with their refunds! No idea why you didn't get yours.

Sarah Alway said...

Shut up!

Unknown said...

What? There were refunds? Obviously, I never got mine either.

Sarah Alway said...

No way. If there were refunds I think we would have heard about it. Steve's just being a smart ass. The money went to Christine Gregoire - she probably had a big party we weren't invited to.