Sunday, January 11, 2009

Veggie Tales

Over the break I got into a pretty heated discussion with my mom. My sister and I both made the statement that we don't believe in hunting. My mom then stated that this is hypocritical because we both eat meat.

OK. Fine.

So starting in January I quit eating meat. So far, it hasn't been all that bad. I really don't eat a whole lot of meat anyway, so the transition has been pretty easy. I have had a few slip-ups (ate a turkey sandwich a co-worker brought me without thinking) but overall I've been able to eliminate meat from my diet with little difficulty.

I've still been eating dairy, eggs and seafood, which is probably up for debate. However, I've been reading lots of articles that say vegetarianism should be approached in stages. For example, first give up red meat, then pork, then chicken and poultry, etc. So maybe this month will end up being my "giving up red meat month."

There are lots of meat substitutes that I already love, so I think this might not be too hard. I love Morning Star sun-dried tomato and basil pizza burgers, and there are some meatless chicken nuggets at Trader Joe's that taste just like the real thing. I also made vegetarian lasagna last night for dinner, and not only was it tasty, but it was FAR healthier than the meaty kind.

We'll see how it goes!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend is a vegetarian, if you ever need some awesome recipes, let me know and I will pass them along to you!

Anonymous said...

I tried giving up meet a few years ago. It was really easy at first, but about a month into it, I went out for a steak dinner.... Good luck!

ADeskJockey said...

Jenny and I rarely eat meat... it wasn't a very hard transition, and I do not crave it. I can't stand steak anymore or brawts... the most falling off the wagon I do, is the occasional chicken breast. Other than that its all tofu (which Ive grown to love).

Brooke said...

yay! i'm excited for you! it's really not hard at all.. I have only craved bacon a few times when we go out to eat but then i think of the poor tortured pig and change my mind right away! you'll do fine!