Monday, February 02, 2009

B is for Books

I absolutely love reading for pleasure. But lately it’s been hard for me to keep up on my ever-increasing book list because I have to spend all my spare time reading my Civil Litigation, Fourth Edition textbook.

However, after eight hours of work and three hours of class I am usually pretty brain dead, so I occasionally allow myself to cheat and do some pleasure reading on my bus ride home. My current read, given to me for my birthday by my sister is a novel called LAMB: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal.

The book is a behind-the-scenes look at the original boy wonder. A few of the neat things I can expect to discover are:
  • What to do if your kid's face suddenly appears on every loaf of bread in town.
  • The proper method for choosing a harlot.
  • How sarcasm was invented. (Yeah, really.)
  • The history of the martial art specifically designed for boys from Nazareth (aka Jewdo).
  • What the rough draft of the Sermon on the Mount sounded like.
  • How to tell when an image of the Virgin Mary is a bona fide vision... and when it's just elephant poop.
  • How bunnies came to be associated with Easter.
I've read some reviews that call this book irreverent and offensive, but if there is a God, I think I like Voltaire's take on him: God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh.

I have to say, I’m only on page 32 and this book is hysterically funny and completely entertaining. I think I’m going to have a really hard time limiting reading it to the occasional bus ride home from school. So far, I highly recommend that you check it out yourself.

1 comments:

*Amy Leigh* said...

Hmm...sounds like a good read. I like to call that brain popcorn...books that don't require too much of my energy, but still let me think.

Good luck with it, let me know how it turns out!

And btw, I love the alpgabet blogging!