Friday, February 06, 2009

F is for Firefighter

Sorry to be silly and sappy, but I’m so proud of my firefighter boyfriend! He’s finally back in Fire Academy after recovering from knee surgery, and after almost four weeks he’s still doing amazing! No more injuries, and he is currently ranked #1 in his class – both physically and academically! Apparently this has kind of pissed off some of his comrades: “What? The fast guy is also the strong guy and the smart guy?!? That’s bullsh*t!” Time to step it up, fellas…

That’s Stewie. He’s the type of person who never bothers to do something unless he’s going to do it 100%. It’s one of the things I love most about him.

However, what I do not love about my boyfriend being in Fire Academy is the schedule. Even though we live together, we rarely see each other. During the week he lives 40 miles away in the dorms of the technical college where the Academy takes place. (It’s a very, “sir yes sir” and “drop and give me 20” type of environment). He comes home on Friday nights and barely manages to finish his dinner before he nods off due to utter exhaustion. Since I haven’t seen him all week I usually just watch TV while he sleeps next to me on the couch – nice quality time, right?

Then on Saturday and Sunday comes the fun part. We both hunker down to read and do homework. Basically, the highlight of our weekend is when we go shopping for the week on Sunday night and catch up on a few reality TV shows while I cook meals for the week and he polishes his boots. No, this is not my ideal lifestyle. I really miss my boyfriend!

But I figure sometimes you’ve just got to put in the time to reach certain goals in life. Stew graduates from Fire Academy in March and then he starts his shift work as a firefighter, which means 24 hours on / 48 hours off. Yep – they work only 8 days a month! This is really going to make me jealous for a while, since I don’t graduate from my Paralegal Certification program until June and then I start my LSAT prep course.

These are the days of our lives… Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey SarahBeth,

Maybe you could send Stewart and his mates down under. We could do with the help!!

bek

Sarah Alway said...

Hey Bek - I read today that the death toll has risen to 171; that's so horrible. I hope you're doing OK down there!

Maybe I will have to send the BF, we've been dying to visit Australia, anyway! ;-)