Thursday, February 19, 2009

S is for Swift Walkers

You heard it here first: Swift Walkers for a Swift Cure is back in action! I have lost several loved ones to cancer, and am a huge advocate of the American Cancer Society. Last year, I really got involved by becoming a Planning Committee member and Team Captain for Seattle’s Green Lake Relay for Life.

My team, Swift Walkers for a Swift Cure (named after my Granddad, John D. Swift), walked for 24 hours straight and raised $6,633 to benefit cancer research. This made us the #2 fundraising team for 2008!

Unfortunately, this year my schedule doesn’t really allow for the frequent meetings and intense planning that is required of the team captain. So I have passed the torch to my cousin Mary, who has generously agreed to lead our team this year!

This is such a fun event and such a wonderful way to commemorate the people who have lost battles with cancer, as well as celebrate those who are still with us. I’ll be doing quite a bit of fundraising throughout the next few months, so feel free to check out my personal page and even make a donation if you are so inclined…

0 comments: